This project is an adaptive re-use of the Fairmont Creamery Co building build in the 1920's, situated within Milwaukee Junction, Detroit's most historic manufacturing district.
Just across the Grand Trunk Railroad is Henry Ford's first automotive factory, the Piquette Model T plant. The Creamery building is an Albert Kahn type concrete column structure
with no ceiling beams which allows for clean open spaces.
Being situated in Milwaukee junction, the project is within the Woodward Avenue redevelopment zone. Construction of a new light rail along Woodward Ave will connect
Midtown and Milwaukee Junction to Downtown. It's a short bike ride away from the Wayne State campus and the Taubman School of Art and Design.
The programming of the building incorporates gallery space, restaurant, retail, and workshops on Basement and Ground Floors. Floors 2-3 are for student and low income
housing, while floors 4 and 5 have rowhouse condo units, with small roof-top yards and a communal pool.
The broad mix of programming helps accommodate both current area residents and future re-urbanization. The broad mix also ensures the building and neighborhood
has steady use throughout the day and year, which is vital for a healthy neighborhood.
The restaurant, gallery, and retail will serve as an anchor for an evolving neighborhood and will compliment two neighboring galleries and loft style housing.
Dec 2014, Currently in concept phase